Medical Social Worker (MSW)
A Medical Social Worker (MSW) provides social work services to patients on an intermittent basis in their place of residence. This is performed in accordance with physician orders and plan of care under the direction and supervision of the Director of Clinical Services/Clinical Manager. Services are furnished by a qualified social worker or by a qualified social work assistant under the supervision of a qualified social worker.
- A master’s or doctoral degree from a school of social work accredited by the Council on Social Work Education, and has one year of social work experience in a health care setting, or
- A baccalaureate degree in social work, psychology, sociology or other field related to social work, and at least one year of social work experience in a health care setting (functions as an assistant).
- Two (2) years of appropriate experience (for assistant).
- One (1) year experience in home care, preferred.
- Acceptance of philosophy and goals of Agency.
- Ability to exercise initiative and independent judgment.
- Ability to work with individuals to enlist cooperation of many people to perform/achieve a common goal.
Works indoors in Agency office and patient homes and travels to/from patient homes.
- Supervised by: Director of Clinical Services/Clinical Manager
If Social Work Assistant: Social Worker
Ability to perform the following tasks if necessary:
- Participate in physical activity and to do bending, lifting and/or standing on a regular basis.
- Light lifting may be required.
- Work for extended period of time while sitting or standing.
Risk Exposure: HIGH
- Understands and adheres to established Agency policies/procedures.
- Understands and promotes principles of QAPI.
- Acts as a consultant to other Agency personnel.
- Participates in the coordination of Agency’s services with the services of other community resources; uses community resources.
- Observes confidentiality and safeguards all patient information.
- Serves as a resource person to employees, patients, physicians and other allied healthcare providers.
- Develops a cooperative relationship and communicates effectively and professionally with physicians.
- Accepts responsibility for regular attendance and punctuality.
- Maintains current knowledge of Medicare Conditions of Participation for social work services.
- Immediately reports any accident, incident, lost articles or unusual occurrence to Director of Clinical Services/Clinical Manager.
- Participates in inservices and/or continuing education programs.
- Participates in patient care conferences.
- Maintains contact with community support groups and provides professional expertise as required.
- Plans/coordinates all social services within the Agency.
- Documents all patient/family services provided as required by Agency policy.
- Assists physician and other team members in understanding the significant social and emotional factors related to health problems.
- Participates in the development of the plan of care.
- Prepares clinical and progress notes.
- Works with the family.
- Participates in discharge planning.
- Other duties assigned by Director of Clinical Services/Clinical Manager (or Social Worker, if Social Work Assistant).